Monday, June 6, 2016

Thoughts on DC's Rebirth

So I'm in the process of writing my review for another omnibus I just finished, hoping to get it out by the end of this week. In the meantime, I thought I'd throw up some verbiage and talk a bit about this whole Rebirth initiative that DC is rolling out in order to refresh the DC universe as the New 52 comes to a close.

I decided to bring this up because as I sit here in my bed icing my pulled rhomboid muscle (the damn thing STILL hasn't fully recovered and its starting to mess up back day something fierce) I've now come across my 5th Rebirth article on Reddit in what feels like 5 minutes. This one in particular is talking about how Green Arrow has surpassed 90,000 copies sold for its Rebirth issue - an impressive feet considering the New 52 #1 issue only sold about 55k.

Now I'm not a fan of Green Arrow, nothing against the dude I just never read his stuff and the thought of watching a superhero show on The CW after having seen Daredevil on Netflix quite frankly makes me cringe, but my interest is piqued.

I've been cautiously optimistic since Rebirth started because no matter how cynical I am about the abuse the Watchmen franchise is taking at the hands of the money-hungry DC Comics and at the expense of Alan Moore's slowly and continually dying soul, (he's like an immortal wizard though, so his soul is like a slowly burning red dwarf star that just constantly burns toward oblivion in a dull and depressing manner), I was still impressed by DC boy scout Geoff Johns' ability to craft an emotional and satisfying narrative that talks about the optimism and heroism of the old days being brought back to a world where grim-dark stories have taken yada yada yada.


Seeing that the fans are responding so well to the changes so far, (3rd printing for Rebirth one-shot, 2nd printings for the other Rebirth titles so far), has me excited to see what's coming down the pipeline, even if I'm still reeling over the end of Snyder and Capullo's epic Bat-sterpiece.

No comments:

Post a Comment